Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Bush asks Congress for billions more for wars

President Bush called on Congress today to approve $46 billion in additional war spending, the vast majority of which is meant for Iraq. Speaking from the White House Mr. Bush urged lawmakers to “do what it takes to support our troops and protect our people.”

“Listen, you know I wouldn't ask for this if I didn't really need it, right? You know that. C'mon. The last thing I wanna do is put you in this position. But I've got no choice. I've got no one else I can ask. It's only you, baby. Listen, I'll make it up to you. I will. I promise. And you know I'm good for it. C'mon. Whadaya say? I know we've been through this before, I know that. But whada you want me to do, huh? Raise taxes? Sell war bonds? Ration Kevlar for christsake?! Oh baby don't... I'm sorry. No, c'mon. Don't be like that. C'mon. I'm sorry. Hey. Congress. Congress! Con! Don't be like that, Con! You know I hate doin' this to ya. You know that, Con. If there were any other way, baby. I swear. But you're it. You're all I got, baby. Baby, just think about it. That's all I'm askin'. Think about it for a while, that's all. I don't want you to do anything you don't wanna do, girl. You know that. Think about it and let me know, aight? You're all I got, baby. You're the one,” explained Mr. Bush.

Minutes after the president spoke, Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-NV) warned Mr. Bush that Congress would not just “rubber-stamp” the supplemental request. Mr. Reid compared the estimated $650 billion total cost of the unpopular Iraq war thus far with the bipartisan $60 billion children's health care bill which Mr. Bush recently vetoed and which would have been paid for by an increase in cigarette taxes.

“You're always doing this. If it's something you need I'm supposed to be there for you. But when it comes to my needs it just seems like you couldn't care less? No, I'm not saying you don't care. I'm saying that's what it feels like to me based on your actions. Like when I tell you I'm too busy to see you and you call me up anyway and say 'let's get together'. It feels like you don't respect me and what I'm trying to do with my life. Why should I care anymore what you want? Huh? Why? Give me one good reason. All you give a damn about anymore is yourself and your stupid war. You want my help? Yeah, like you've got a prayer.”

No comments: